Many of these are just links to articles that made me think along with my two cents. Occasionally I'll post more thoughtful longform articles.
- Over-Engineering 2016.10.22
- Metacrap 2016.09.07
- Motherf***ing Website 2016.09.06
- Tufte CSS 2016.06.12 — I don't have anything smart to say for this one. It's just a great looking style.
- Four Pitfalls of Hill Climbing 2016.06.04 — A/B testing -- when it comes to product design -- is a big improvement over what came before. Just be aware of its' problems as well.
- The Best Icon is a Text Label 2016.04.14 — Remember to test your UI's icons with real users. If something makes them think, you need to find a better icon or go back to text.
- Email Isn't The Thing You're Bad At 2016.05.04 — People are bad about saying no. Each email is asking something of you and you need to be able to read it and decide right then if you will or not. Don't lie to yourself. Saying "maybe" is a great way to fill your to do list with lots of things you'll never get to.
- A Significant Amount of Programming is Done by Superstition 2016.04.30 — We all work from memory which isn't perfect so it's important to occasionally revisit the primary sources. Did the API change slightly? Did you forget a feature? The same goes for your own code.
- Why I Love Ugly Interfaces 2016.04.12
- Being tired isn't a badge of honor 2016.04.10 — Working hard is admirable. Working long hours -- in the long term -- is not. Habitually working long hours is a great way to burnout, wreck your health, and lose touch with loved ones. If you have to do it, make it a sprint, not a habit.